No-Knead Bread – Modern Honey
This no-knead bread is baked in a Dutch oven and is the perfect crispy French bread recipe. This makes a beautiful artisan loaf of bread and it’s so easy! The only ingredients you need are flour, water, salt and yeast for the perfect overnight bread.
This is the simplest bread recipe known to man! It literally takes two minutes to get ready. I was in shock the first time I made this bread because it was just too easy and the end result was absolutely stunning.
The first time I made this bread for my mom, which is the ultimate bread maker, she couldn’t believe how easy it was and we ended up with crispy artisan bread that looked like it came straight from a French bakery.
The ingredients for this no-knead bread are flour, salt, yeast and water. That’s it! This bread recipe requires only 4 ingredients. You literally mix the ingredients for 30 seconds and you’re done. Just let the bread dough rise for 12-18 hours and then bake it. That’s it!
The key is bake bread in a dutch oven. This helps create a crisp exterior. I’m sure you’ll love this homemade artisan bread recipe!
Dutch Bread Ingredients:
- Plain flour — I suggest using all purpose flour or bread flour in this recipe. Bread flour has a high protein content, so it is good for hearty bread. All-purpose flour contains slightly less protein than bread flour, but is a universally used flour due to its protein content.
- Yeast — I suggest using active dry yeast. You only need half a teaspoon as this is a slow rising bread. This will slowly increase for 12-18 hours.
- Salt — If ever the bread lacks flavor, there is not enough salt in the dough.
- Hot water — I propose the the water is hot at around 110 degrees. This helps activate the yeast. If it’s too hot, it will kill the yeast. Use a thermometer to check the water temperature.
Why does overnight bread have such a long rise time?
This dutch oven bread doesn’t require a lot of yeast, only ½ tsp, so it needs a long rise time to develop flavor and create the perfect texture.
Slow and steady wins the race with this artisan bread recipe. You end up with a tasty and chewy texture, with a crispy exterior. This is the perfect no-knead bread recipe!
Why do you need a dutch oven or a pot with a lid?
Dutch ovens are known for their even cooking and they have the advantage of trapping the steam given off by the dough during the initial cooking phase.
The steam prevents the crust from hardening until the bread has reached its maximum height. Once that happens, you remove the lid and let the top of the bread brown for several minutes.
What type of dutch ovens do you suggest for baking dutch bread?
My favorite dutch ovens are Staub brand dutch ovens and LeCreuset dutch ovens. I’m still looking for them to sell. They always come out with new and beautiful colors and I’m a sucker for a gorgeous dutch oven.
You can also find a Lodge Dutch Oven on Amazon for a cheaper price.
I use my dutch ovens all the time for so many recipes. In fact, I permanently leave two dutch ovens on my stove, that’s how I use them!
How to make the best no-knead bread:
- Start with a mixing bowl. Add flour, baking powder, salt and lukewarm water. Make sure the water is hot but not hot. You want the water to be around 110 degrees. If it’s too hot, it will kill the yeast.
- Mix the mixture together. The mixture will look shaggy and that’s ok. I suggest using your hands to create a ball and put all the ingredients together.
- Cover and let the mixture rise for 12 to 18 hours. It is important to let it rise for at least 12 hours as this allows the flavors to develop.
- When you are ready to bake, heat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the dutch oven in the oven to allow it to heat up for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a sheet of parchment paper.. Shape it into a round ball that will go in the Dutch oven.
- Carefully remove the hot dutch oven from the oven. Place the dough with the parchment paper in the hot Dutch oven. Cover with the lid.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, carefully remove the lid with hot pads and let it brown for about 6-12 minutesdepending on the degree of browning desired for the crust.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before deciding.
POPULAR BREAD RECIPES:
I love baking bread and I have some easy bread recipes like my Soft French Bread Recipe, which even kids can make!
If you want to make yeast bread FAST, check out my 1 Hour White Bread Recipe and my 1 Hour Whole Wheat Bread Recipe.
If you want to make bread for sandwiches, check out my classic sandwich bread recipe.